This all-natural, highly nourishing and soothing banana honey face mask will leave your skin younger-looking, glowing and flawless!
This face mask is extremely simple and super easy to make with ingredients you’ll most likely have at home. Because, all we really need are bananas and honey (unless you’d like to add more, I’ll give you some options later on)!
Banana: Fun fact, the content of anti-oxidants in bananas increases while ripening. And it’s those anti-oxidants that we want! So, choose a ripe to overripe banana—they’re also easier to mash!
Honey: Ideally, you choose raw, unprocessed honey. Maybe even better if you can get it from a local beekeeper! Manuka honey is for sure the most beneficial honey but it’s also the most expensive.
How to make this Banana Honey Face Mask
Step One. For this banana honey face mask, peel the ripe banana, break it into smaller pieces and place it in a bowl. Add honey.
Step Two. Mash the banana with a fork until smooth and even (tiny pieces are absolutely fine). If you prefer a smoother result, use a stick blender to puree the banana.
How to use this Banana Honey Face Mask
Step One. Always wash your face first with a mild cleanser or warm water to get rid of any dirt on your skin. Pat dry your face with a towel.
Step Two. Apply the banana honey mixture all over your face (and neck, if you like), leaving out the eye area, mouth and nose (around the nostrils).
You’re gonna end up with some leftovers. This recipe is for up to 6 treatments. See “Storage” for ways to store this banana mask for future uses.
Step Three. Let the mask do its magic for about 15-20 minutes. Afterwards, remove the banana and honey with a warm and wet washer. Be gentle, don’t rub the skin! Rinse your face (and neck) with warm water to get rid of any residue.
Step Four. Finish with a thin layer of moisturiser (like this homemade aloe vera moisturiser). You’ll notice that you won’t need as much because the face mask will nourish your skin plenty.
Benefits of Bananas for your skin
- glowing skin
- reduces & soothes inflammation
- prevents sun damage
- gently exfoliates
Bananas contain essential, skin-benefiting nutrients like vitamins (B6, C, E and A) and minerals (particularly potassium and silica) as well as anti-oxidants.
The minerals silica and manganese increase collagen production. Collagen is responsible for tight, plump, thus younger-looking, skin. When we age, collagen levels drop naturally.
So, bananas are a great help in the battle against the signs of ageing! However, keep in mind that they’re not a magical remedy.
Bananas are also extremely nourishing and hydrating and may help those with dry skin. As I live in a very dry climate, I immediately notice this effect after applying this face mask! My skin gets softer and smoother instantaneously.
In summer, this banana honey face mask makes an ideal addition to your facial skincare routine! The anti-oxidants present in bananas prevent sun damage caused by free radicals aka harmful UV rays.
Benefits of Honey for your skin
- may heal wounds and small cuts, and lighten scars
Honey is such a luxurious, healing ingredient. Not only will it make your fine lines disappear (over time), but it also soothes inflamed, irritated skin and gently cleanses clogged pores.
It is definitely highly beneficial for those who are suffering from acne, psoriasis or eczema because of its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
In addition to banana and honey, you could also add any of the following ingredients to your face mask:
- ½ avocado → for more nourishment (see complete recipe here)
- 1 tablespoon oat flour or bran → a natural cleanser and moisturiser
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt → blocks sun damage
- ½ teaspoon turmeric → healing
You can store the leftover face mask in an airtight container in the fridge for at least a week. It’ll get a bit brown but that’s normal and doesn’t mean it went off. Before you want to apply the mask, just take it out 30 minutes prior to warm it up to room temperature.
Alternatively, you can freeze this face pack for up to 12 months. I freeze mine in an ice cube tray (see picture) so I have the right amount to defrost.
Safety & Warnings
Allergic reactions to bananas are possible and may even become life-threatening. Use caution when allergic to any other fruit or vegetable in the latex family.
Honey may cause a problem for those who are allergic to bees or their products (like pollen).
ALWAYS make a patch test before trying any of my recipes! Apply a bit of banana mash on the inside of one elbow and a small bit of honey on the other. Let both ingredients sit for 20 minutes.
Wash it off. Then you wait for 24-48 hours for any reactions (like irritations, itchy skin or redness).
If any reactions occur, do NOT use this face mask. Also, if you notice rashes or the like after a few applications, stop using this face pack!
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ - 1 tablespoon honey raw; ideally from a local beekeeper!
How To Make The Mask
- For this banana honey face mask, peel the ripe banana, break it into smaller pieces and place it in a bowl. Add honey.
- Mash the banana with a fork until smooth and even (tiny pieces are absolutely fine). If you prefer a smoother result, use a stick blender to puree the banana.
How To Use The Mask
- Always wash your face first with a mild cleanser or warm water to get rid of any dirt on your skin. Pat dry your face with a towel.
- Apply the banana honey mixture all over your face (and neck, if you like), leaving out the eye area, mouth and nose (around the nostrils).
- Let the mask do its magic for about 15-20 minutes. Afterwards, remove the banana and honey with a warm and wet washer. Rinse your face (and neck) with warm water to get rid of any residue.
- Finish with a thin layer of moisturiser. You’ll notice that you won’t need as much because the face mask will nourish your skin plenty.